Ogham in 3D
English | Gaeilge
Go to inscription

CIIC 151. Ballinrannig IV (BAILE AN REANNAIGH), Co. Kerry

Download Epidoc


© 2016-06-18

National Monuments Service Record Number: KE042-057009-

Site Type

Burial ground and probable ecclesiastical site

Description

Site

'Cillvickillane/Cill Mhic Uíleáin: A large, grass-grown, sandy knoll, crowned by a single ogham stone, is located at the base of a small promontory on the S shore of Smerwick Harbour. It was here that a storm at the end of the 18th century exposed 7 ogham stones, a possible fragment of an ogham stone, a cross-inscribed stone, a number of graves and quantities of bone, and the ruins of several houses (Windele 1838, 145; Chatterton 1839, 190). Windele's sketch of the site shows the ogham stones set out in a rough semi-circle on top of the mound with a slab-lined grave positioned nearby. Chatterton describes the houses as being beyond the mound nearer the sea. Windele interpreted these as the remains of an ancient village, but it has also been suggested that one of the structures, roughly 20 feet x 12 feet (6 x 3.7m), was a church (Curran no. 21). Lord Ventry removed 6 of the ogham stones from the site in the mid-19th century; nos. 1 to 4 now line the driveway to Burnham House/Colaiste Íde, between Dingle and Ventry, and nos. 5 and 6 are preserved in the grounds of Chute Hall near Tralee. Only no.7 is still preserved on the original site' (Cuppage 1986, 250-2).

Monument

'Slate' (Macalister 1945, 147), 0.82m x 0.26m x 0.25m (Cuppage 1986, 251). Although the top of the stone is broken on one side, the inscription appears to be complete.

Text

The inscription is pocked on one angle (up-top) and is 'in good condition' (Macalister 1945, 147).

Transliteration

BROINIONAS

Translation

'of Bróen?'

Commentary

  • This name is recorded in three other ogham inscriptions (CIIC 120 Monataggart, Co. Cork; CIIC 280 Drumlohan, Co. Waterford and CIIC 295 Knockboy, Co Waterford). However, the reading is only relatively certain in this case and in CIIC 120 Monataggart, Co. Cork, which has BROINIENAS.

Locations

Found

Exposed by a storm at the end of the 18th century, along with 6 other ogham stones (Cuppage 1986, 250), in the townland of Ballinrannig and barony of Corkaguiney. (GPS coordinates -10.388106, 52.178511)

Original

Find location probably original site

Last Recorded

In the mid 19th century this stone and CIIC 151 were moved by Lord Ventry to the grounds of Burnham House (now Coláiste Íde), between Dingle and Ventry, where they remain today. The present location of this stone may be accessed via the National Monuments Service Historic Environment viewer on www.archaeology.ie. (GPS coordinates-10.306267, 52.126711)

History of Recording

First recognised in 1782 by Pelham and recorded by Vallancey (1804) in Collectanea de Rebus Hibernicis 6, 226 (Macalister 1945, 144). This stone was recorded for the Ogham in 3D project in 2017 by Orla Breslin, a participant on the Corca Dhuibhne 3d project, using Structure from Motion 3d technology.

References

Websites and Online Databases

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons licence Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Ireland

Copyright (c) 2013 by the School of Celtic Studies http://www.celt.dias.ie

All reuse or distribution of this work must contain somewhere a reference to http://ogham.celt.dias.ie/

Creative Commons License | Last update: 2019-06-14