Ogham in 3D
English | Gaeilge
Go to inscription

CIIC 158. Ballintaggart IV (Baile an tSagairt), Co. Kerry

Download Epidoc | 3D PDF | 3D OBJ


© COPYRIGHT, 2009 2013-07-18
© Nora White 2012-11-22

National Monuments Service Record Number: KE053-033008-

Site Type

Ecclesiastical

Description

Site

Site of church and old burial gound (An Cheallúnach or An Lisín). 'This circular enclosure crowns the summit of a low, but prominent, hillock between Dingle Harbour and Trabeg. The site of a church is shown within the enclosure on the OS maps, but nothing more is known about this, and no visible trace survives. Children were still being interred there in the burial ground in the mid-19th century' (Cuppage et al 1986, 264). The current stone enclosure, approximately 30m in diameter, is 'only a portion of the original site and was built up by a landlord sometime prior to 1847' (Devane 2001, 372). Macalister (1945, 151-7) recorded nine ogham stones collected together at the site. These 'mostly pulvinar' or oval water-rolled boulders resemble the stones found 'about 6 miles away' at Minard storm beach. Eight of the nine stones are now arranged in a circle within the stone enclosure with the ninth placed centrally. Apart from the ogham stones, the interior consists of 'a confusion of low mounds and low upright grave markers' (Cuppage et al 1986, 264). A tenth ogham stone was discovered in the 1980's but only protrudes 24cm above the ground (Devane 2001, 369).

Monument

Sandstone, 0.56m x 0.36m x 0.13m (converted from Macalister 1945, 153)

Text

'Inscription pocked on two sides (up-top-down). In fairly good condition. The second Q is broken and faint' (Macalister 1945, 153). 'The last two scores of the Q and the 1st four of the I have broken away but their former presence is confirmed by earlier accounts' (Cuppage et al 1986, 265).

Transliteration

SUVALLOS MAQ/Q̣Ị DU/COVAROS

Translation

Commentary

  • This is one of the inscriptions listed by McManus (1991, 93-4) to be among the earliest in the corpus showing no trace of vowel affection. It may be dated to the first half, or the early second half, of the fifth century (McManus 1991, 97).

  • The personal names in this inscription are not to our knowledge attested elsewhere. They may contain the prefixes so-/su- 'good' and do-/du- 'bad' (McManus 1991, 105).

Locations

Found

This stone was found lying loose in a dyke near a ditch, presumably that of the enclosure (Cuppage et al 1986, 265) in the townland of Ballintaggart and barony of Corkaguiney. (GPS coordinates -10.243303,52.127798)

Original

Unknown

Last Recorded

On site inside stone enclosure. The present location of this stone may be accessed via the National Monuments Service Historic Environment viewer on www.archaeology.ie.

History of Recording

first mentioned, 1804 Vallancey (Macalister 1945, 151).

References

Websites and Online Databases

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons licence Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Ireland

Copyright (c) 2013 by the School of Celtic Studies http://www.celt.dias.ie

All reuse or distribution of this work must contain somewhere a reference to http://ogham.celt.dias.ie/

Creative Commons License | Last update: 2019-09-24