Ogham in 3D
English | Gaeilge
Go to inscription

CIIC 38. Ballyboodan, Co. Kilkenny

Download Epidoc | 3D PDF | 3D OBJ


© COPYRIGHT, 2009 2015-07-21

© COPYRIGHT, 2009 2015-07-21

National Monuments Service Record Number: KK031-058----

Site Type

Unassociated

Description

Site

Originally standing upright in the field in which it is now recumbant (Macalister 1945, 42-4).

Monument

Close-grained slate, 2.31m x 1.75m x 0.23m (Converted from Macalister 1945, 42). 'Top broken away' (Macalister 1945, 42).

Text

'Inscription pocked on the dexter edge of the face uppermost in the present position of the stone; condition good but worn' (Macalister 1945, 42). The -B- of CORBI is very faint and only two of the -I's vowel notches remain. The K is also very worn and difficult to be certain of, as is the final D where only possible partial scores remain.

Transliteration

CORḄỊ ḲOI MAQI LABRIḌ[  ̣  ̣ ?   ̣  ̣]

Translation

'of Corb here son of Labraid?'

Commentary

  • The person commemorated here is Corb (possibly related to corbaid 'defiles' (McManus 1991, 107), cf. CIIC 154. Ballinrannig, Co. Kerry, where it is the second element in the name MAQQI-CORBBI and in CIIC 162. Ballintaggart VIII, Co. Kerry, where it is the name of the ancestor of the kindred, forming part of the sept name introduced by the formula word AVI (Mod Ir. Uí Chuirb 'grandson/descendant of Corb').

Locations

Found

in the field close by to where it is now situated in the townland of Ballyboodan and barony of Knocktopher. (GPS coordinates -7.222584, 52.470256)

Original

Find location probably original site

Last recorded

In its own enclosure in a corner of a field by the side of the road. The present location of this stone may be accessed via the National Monuments Service Historic Environment viewer on www.archaeology.ie.

History of Recording

'Brash erroneously ascribes the discovery of the stone to Hitchcock: but it was well-known as early as 1841, when it was standing erect. Some time after that date, however, it fell, inscription side downward, as a result of the operations of treasure-seekers. Hitchcock visited the monument in 1849, when he was obliged to employ 20 men to turn it over: after which he replaced it as he found it, so that it had to be turned again to check his copy of the inscription' (Macalister 1945, 42-4).

References

Websites and Online Databases

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons licence Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Ireland

Copyright (c) 2013 by the School of Celtic Studies http://www.celt.dias.ie

All reuse or distribution of this work must contain somewhere a reference to http://ogham.celt.dias.ie/

Creative Commons License | Last update: 2018-11-19