Ogham in 3D
English | Gaeilge
Go to inscription

CIIC 230. Cloghanecarhan, Co. Kerry

Download Epidoc | 3D PDF | 3D OBJ


© COPYRIGHT, 2009 2015-08-19

© COPYRIGHT, 2009 2015-08-19

National Monuments Service Record Number: KE089-011001-

Site Type

Probable Ecclesiastical

Description

Site

'Located on a gentle S facing slope at the foot of Foilclogh mountain, on the E bank of a small stream, this site [KE089-011----] provides broad views across boglands to Ballinskelligs Bay at S. Known locally as 'Keeldarragh' (Lynch 1909, 164), it is approximately circular in plan and is enclosed by a bank which features an entrance at E and an arrangement of pillars at W. This latter feature may represent a second entrance. Within the interior is a circular hut, three possible leachta and a cross-slab. An ogham stone is now located outside the E entrance, and a souterrain was recently revealed immediately outside the enclosure at WNW' (O'Sullivan et al 1996, no. 936). Macalister (1945, 224) recorded the site as a ringfort. Although Lynch (1909, 164) described the site as a 'cashel', he believed it to have been 'some kind of religious foundation'.

Monument

'Slate', 2.08m x 0.38m x 0.18m (converted from Macalister 1945, 224).

Text

'Inscription in poor condition [up] and complicated by being a palimpsest ' (Macalister 1945, 224). Very little of Macalister's earlier inscription (D[...]A[.C.] AVI DALAGNI [MAQI C--) can be determined and so a transcription is not supplied below. However, the scores and notches following the -NN of CARATTINN, can be made out from the 3d data and Macalister's earlier reading: BRIC (1902, ) looks more likely than his later alternative suggestion: MAQI C (1945, 224). The X-forfid, with vocalic value representing 2E of EQQEGGNI, is very worn and therefore uncertain.

Transliteration

EQQẸGGNỊ [MA]Q̣[I] ṂẠQI-CAṚATTỊNN

Translation

'of Ec..án? son of Mac-Cáirthinn'

Commentary

  • Macalister (1945, 224) noted that 'the last name [CARATTINN] is possibly that of the eponymus of the townland'. Logainm.ie gives the Irish version of the townland name (Cloghanecarhan) as Clochán Cárthainn. The same name, in an earlier pre-apocope form (MAQI-CAIRATINI), appears on an ogham stone from Painestown, Co Meath (CIIC 40). MAQI- (gen. of MAQ(Q)AS), as a first element meaning 'devotee' or the like, rather than 'son' and cáerthann 'rowan tree' as the second (McManus 1991, 108-9).

Locations

Found

originally stood at the E entrance of the site at Cloghanecarhan, in the barony of Iveragh (O'Sullivan et al 1996, no. 936). (GPS coordinates -10.183738, 51.888405)

Original

Find location possibly original site

Last Recorded

Currently lies on two concrete mounts just outside the entrance at the E of the site. The present location of this stone may be accessed via the National Monuments Service Historic Environment viewer on www.archaeology.ie.

History of Recording

Discovered and published by Lynch (1909, pp 164-9), including a photograph of the stone as it then stood.

References

Websites and Online Databases

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons licence Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Ireland

Copyright (c) 2013 by the School of Celtic Studies http://www.celt.dias.ie

All reuse or distribution of this work must contain somewhere a reference to http://ogham.celt.dias.ie/

Creative Commons License | Last update: 2018-12-13