Ogham in 3D
English | Gaeilge
Go to inscription

CIIC 147. Ballineesteenigh (BAILE AN ÍSTÍNIGH), Co. Kerry

Download Epidoc | 🔗 URI https://ogham.celt.dias.ie/147._Ballineesteenigh

© 2016-06-18

© 2016-06-18

National Monuments Service Record Number: KE043-248----

Site Type




This ogham stone was discovered upright in the middle of Ballineesteenigh village, less than 50m east of the site of a ringfort (KE043-247----). There is also holy well, Tobermartin/Tobar Mártain (KE043-246----), approximately 100m to the north (Cuppage 1986, 250; www.archaeology.ie).


'Sandstone pulvinar', 1.93m x 0.33m x 0.36m (Converted from Macalister 1945, 143). The stone is broken in two and partially flaked away on one side (Macalister 1945, 142-3). There is also a small plain cross on the opposite side of the stone to the inscription.


'Inscription worn, but quite legible, in one line...The fracture crosses E3, in consequence of which this letter has previously been read U ' Macalister (1945, 143). There is no trace of a final -A in the father's name.




'Of M son of Olchú'


  • This is one of the inscriptions listed by McManus (1991, 94) in which apocope (loss of final consonants or syllables) begins to show itself (MOINENA (earlier -AS), OLACON (earlier -AS)). This suggests that it may be dated to the first half of the sixth century (McManus 1991, 97).

  • The persosnal name OLACON(AS) is a compound of OL-, possibly OIr. oll 'great, ample' (ogham L can represent L or LL), and -CONAS 'dog, hound, wolf' (McManus 1991, 102, 177 (n.7)).



When first discovered, this ogham stone stood upright and in tact in the middle of Ballineesteenig village (Macalister 1945, 142), in the townland of Ballineesteenigh and barony of Corkaguiney. (GPS coordinates -10.204740, 52.140119)


Find location probably original site

Last Recorded

In the late 19th century this stone was moved by Lord Ventry to the grounds of Burnham House (now Coláiste Íde), between Dingle and Ventry, where it remains today. The present location of this stone may be accessed via the National Monuments Service Historic Environment viewer on www.archaeology.ie. (GPS coordinates-10.306267, 52.126711)

History of Recording

Discovered in 1790 by Henry Pelham (Collectanea de Rebus Hibernicis 6, 226). 'Sometime before 1804 it was broken into two pieces, and part of the back of the stone was flaked away, as the result of kindling a fire against it. When Brash saw it [1868], it was still on or near its original site', where the pieces served various purposes around the farm prior to their removal to Burnham House (Macalister 1945, 142). This stone was recorded for the Ogham in 3D project in 2017 by Kathleen Reen, a participant on the Corca Dhuibhne 3d project, using Structure from Motion 3d technology.


Websites and Online Databases

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons licence Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Ireland

Copyright (c) 2013 by the School of Celtic Studies http://www.celt.dias.ie

All reuse or distribution of this work must contain somewhere a reference to http://ogham.celt.dias.ie/

Creative Commons License | Last update: 2023-07-30