Ogham in 3D
English | Gaeilge
Go to inscription

CIIC 266. Dromore I, Co. Waterford

Download Epidoc | 3D PDF | 3D OBJ


© COPYRIGHT, 2009 2014-08-21

© COPYRIGHT, 2009 2014-08-21

National Monuments Service Record Number: WA029-042003-

Site Type

Burial ground

Description

Site

Possible early ecclesiastical site (Cell Tíre – Kiltera). 'Later prehistoric or early Christian cemetery comprising a circular grass-covered area (diam. c. 36m) defined by a slight stone bank' (Moore 1999, 172). No evidence for church. Two ogham stones built into wall at W still on site. The interior of the burial ground was investigated by Macalister (1935, 1-16) in 1934 during which the third ogham stone was uncovered and is now in the National Museum of Ireland.

Monument

'Slate, with conspicuous quartz veins running vertically', 1.32m x 0.51m x 0.13m (converted from Macalister 1945, 262).

Text

'Inscribed on two angles (up-up) - pocked and rubbed, and now much worn, the top is broken and spalled... The final NA of the second angle is carried across the face of the stone, upon a natural ridge, to avoid collision with the end of the first angle. In consequence, the N is inverted, and looks like a Q; the lapidary has not improved matters by putting the following A in the wrong relative position' (Macalister 1945, 262-3).

Transliteration

COLLABOT MUCOI LUGA/ MAQI LOBACCONA

Translation

'of Cóelub descendant of Lug son of Lubchú?'

Commentary

  • In this inscription the suvival of -A (from earlier -AS) in LOBACCONA combined with the complete loss of the final syllable (-AS) in COLLABOT suggests a date in the first half of the sixth century (McManus 1991, 94, 97).

  • The tribal name MUCOI LUGA, which also occurs on CIIC. 267 Dromore II, is as yet unidentified (McManus 1991, 112).

  • The formula (typically X MAQI Y MUCOI Z) deviates from the norm here with X MUCOI Y MAQI Z.

Locations

Found

on site at Kiltera burial ground by E. Fitzgerald in 1861 (Macalister 1945, 262) in the townland of Dromore and barony of Decies within Drum. (GPS coordinates -7.847713, 52.074413)

Original

Find location possibly original site

Last Recorded

On site in graveyard of Kiltera. The present location of this stone may be accessed via the National Monuments Service Historic Environment viewer on www.archaeology.ie.

History of Recording

Discovered by E. Fitzgerald in 1861 (Macalister 1945, 262).

References

Websites and Online Databases

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons licence Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Ireland

Copyright (c) 2013 by the School of Celtic Studies http://www.celt.dias.ie

All reuse or distribution of this work must contain somewhere a reference to http://ogham.celt.dias.ie/

Creative Commons License | Last update: 2020-09-22