Ogham in 3D
English | Gaeilge
Go to inscription

CIIC 267. Dromore II, Co. Waterford

Download Epidoc | 3D PDF | 3D OBJ


© COPYRIGHT, 2009 2014-08-21

© COPYRIGHT, 2009 2014-08-21

National Monuments Service Record Number: WA029-042006-

Site Type

Burial ground

Description

Site

Possible early ecclesiastical site (Cell Tíre – Kiltera). 'Later prehistoric or early Christian cemetery comprising a circular grass-covered area (diam. c. 36m) defined by a slight stone bank' (Moore 1999, 172). No evidence for church. Two ogham stones built into wall at W still on site. The interior of the burial ground was investigated by Macalister (1935, 1-16) in 1934 during which the third ogham stone was uncovered and is now in the National Museum of Ireland.

Monument

'Slate', 1.30m x 0.41m x 0.25m (converted from Macalister 1945, 263).

Text

'Inscription pocked on the two northern angles (up-up) and in good order'. Macalister (1945, 263-4) goes on to explain MACI LU MUCOI LUGA by suggesting that 'the scribe found that he had made a mistake (having written maci for mucoi: compare the preceding inscription [CIIC. 266]), and so he began again on the second angle, and wrote the corrected version...The last three letters are carried across the face of the stone in the same manner as the end of the preceding inscription: the consonant G and its flanking vowels are not as carefully differentiated as they might have been'.

Transliteration

MEDUSI {MACI} {LU}/ MUCOI LUGA

Translation

Commentary

  • The tribal name MUCOI LUGA, which also occurs on CIIC. 266 Dromore I, is as yet unidentified (McManus 1991, 112).

Locations

Found

on site at Kiltera burial ground by Mr Michael Beary of Dungarvan sometime after the discovery of the first (Macalister 1945, 262) in the townland of Dromore and barony of Decies within Drum. (GPS coordinates -7.847708, 52.074382)

Original

Find location possibly original site

Last Recorded

On site in graveyard of Kiltera. The present location of this stone may be accessed via the National Monuments Service Historic Environment viewer on www.archaeology.ie.

History of Recording

Discovered by Mr Michael Beary of Dungarvan sometime after the discovery of the first in 1861 (Macalister 1945, 262).

References

Websites and Online Databases

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons licence Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Ireland

Copyright (c) 2013 by the School of Celtic Studies http://www.celt.dias.ie

All reuse or distribution of this work must contain somewhere a reference to http://ogham.celt.dias.ie/

Creative Commons License | Last update: 2018-12-13