Ogham in 3D
English | Gaeilge
Go to inscription

CIIC 272. Drumlohan I, Co. Waterford

Download Epidoc | 3D PDF | 3D Textured PDF | 3D OBJ


© COPYRIGHT, 2009 2013-04-24

National Monuments Service Record Number: WA024-033006-

Site Type

Souterrain/Ecclesiastical

Description

Site

Souterrain discovered on removing the outer bank at NW of an Early ecclesiastical site. Ten ogham stones were used in the construction of the rectangular chamber (Moore 1999, 151, 172-3) - five as lintels, which are now removed and placed upright beside the souterrain, and five as lining stones for the sides, which are still in position.

Monument

'The first lintel, over the entrance'. Greenstone, 1.52m x 0.20m x 0.20m (converted from Macalister 1945, 268).

Text

'Inscription chiselled on two angles (up-down) and in good condition...The cross-scores are almost (not quite) at right angles to the stem-line. A second cross-score was blocked out in error after 3M, but was effaced and the correct vowel-mark substituted' (Macalister 1945, 268).

Transliteration

MANU MAGUNO GATI MOCOI MACORBO

Translation

'of M. boy (Magounnos) of G. decendant of M.'

Commentary

  • Regarding MAGUNO, Rhys (1899, 392) suggested that this may be a genitive of Magunus (derivative of and synonymous with Latin Magus).

  • The tribal/sept name MACORBO is also found on nearby CIIC 283. Garramillon and CIIC. 28 Churchclara, Co. Kilkenny. MacNeill's (1931, 42) tempting sugesstion that this be equated with the Dál Maic-Cuirp, one of the Déisi Muman septs, is doubtful (McManus 1991, 111, 180 n.59).

Locations

Found

Discovered as a lintel over the entrance of a souterrain (Macalister 1945, 268) in townland of Drumlohan and barony of Decies without Drum. (GPS coordinates -7.465370, 52.163318)

Original

Unknown

Last Recorded

Erected beside the souterrain on site at Drumlohan. The present location of this stone may be accessed via the National Monuments Service Historic Environment viewer on www.archaeology.ie.

History of Recording

Discovered in 1867 and identified by William Williams of Dungarvan, but ogham inscriptions not fully read until souterrain was dismantled in 1936 (Macalister 1945, 267).

References

Websites and Online Databases

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons licence Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Ireland

Copyright (c) 2013 by the School of Celtic Studies http://www.celt.dias.ie

All reuse or distribution of this work must contain somewhere a reference to http://ogham.celt.dias.ie/

Creative Commons License | Last update: 2020-09-22