Ogham in 3D
English | Gaeilge
Go to inscription

CIIC 273. Drumlohan II, Co. Waterford

Download Epidoc | 3D PDF | 3D Textured PDF | 3D OBJ


© COPYRIGHT, 2009 2013-04-24

National Monuments Service Record Number: WA024-033007-

Site Type

Souterrain/Ecclesiastical

Description

Site

Souterrain discovered on removing the outer bank at NW of an Early ecclesiastical site. Ten ogham stones were used in the construction of the rectangular chamber (Moore 1999, 151, 172-3) - five as lintels, which are now removed and placed upright beside the souterrain, and five as lining stones for the sides, which are still in position.

Monument

'The fourth lintel'. Greenstone, 1.67m x 0.42m x 0.30m (converted from Macalister 1945, 269).

Text

'Inscribed on two angles (up-up), pocked and rubbed, in good condition except that the top is fractured... The final A of the first angle is broken away (there may have been a second C preceding it). On the second angle only the first two notches of the E and the last three scores of the N remain: the final I is very faint, but can be traced' (Macalister 1945, 269-70).

Transliteration

CALUNOVIC[A] MAQI MUCOI LIT[EN]Ị

Translation

Commentary

  • The first element of CALUNOVICA 'is probably to be equated with the name Culann' (McManus 1991, 88).

Locations

Found

Discovered used as the fourth lintel of a souterrain (Macalister 1945, 269) in townland of Drumlohan and barony of Decies without Drum. (GPS coordinates -7.465370, 52.163318)

Original

Unknown

Last Recorded

Erected beside the souterrain on site at Drumlohan. The present location of this stone may be accessed via the National Monuments Service Historic Environment viewer on www.archaeology.ie.

History of Recording

Discovered in 1867 and identified by William Williams of Dungarvan, but ogham inscriptions not fully read until souterrain was dismantled in 1936 (Macalister 1945, 267).

References

Websites and Online Databases

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons licence Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Ireland

Copyright (c) 2013 by the School of Celtic Studies http://www.celt.dias.ie

All reuse or distribution of this work must contain somewhere a reference to http://ogham.celt.dias.ie/

Creative Commons License | Last update: 2020-11-03