Ogham in 3D
English | Gaeilge
Go to inscription

CIIC 275. Drumlohan IV, Co. Waterford

Download Epidoc | 3D PDF | 3D Textured PDF | 3D OBJ


© COPYRIGHT, 2009 2013-04-24

National Monuments Service Record Number: WA024-033009-

Site Type

Souterrain/Ecclesiastical

Description

Site

Souterrain discovered on removing the outer bank at NW of an Early ecclesiastical site. Ten ogham stones were used in the construction of the rectangular chamber (Moore 1999, 151, 172-3) - five as lintels, which are now removed and placed upright beside the souterrain, and five as lining stones for the sides, which are still in position.

Monument

'The sixth lintel'. Greenstone, 1.49m x 0.34m x 0.17m (converted from Macalister 1945, 271).

Text

'Inscription on three angles (up-down-up), and in good condition, except for the fracture of the top of the stone, which has carried off the middle of the third word... After the N a mistaken B-score had been blocked out: it was not deepened, and the A was cut over it. The first A of ..SALAR is broken away, and the space between the scores of the L in CELI is flaked. If there were such a name as Crisalar, it would exactly fill the vacant space, but this is not a suggested restoration - only an indication of the length of the damaged word ' (Macalister 1945, 271-2).

Transliteration

CUNALEGEA MAQI C[....]SALAR CELI AVI QVECI

Translation

'of Conlang? son of C. follower of the descendant of Q.'

Commentary

  • The personal name CUNALEGEA contains the commonly occuring element CUNA- 'dog, hound' (McManus 1991, 102).

  • A rare example from Ireland of the Latin convention of writing QV for Q in Irish names in the Latin alphabet: QVECI = QECI? cp. MAQVI for MAQI (McManus 1991, 126)

  • This is the only known example of the sequence X MAQQI Y CELI AVI Z (McManus 1991, 171 n17)

Locations

Found

Discovered used as the sixth lintel of a souterrain (Macalister 1945, 271) in townland of Drumlohan and barony of Decies without Drum. (GPS coordinates -7.465370, 52.163318)

Original

Unknown

Last Recorded

Erected beside the souterrain on site at Drumlohan. The present location of this stone may be accessed via the National Monuments Service Historic Environment viewer on www.archaeology.ie.

History of Recording

Discovered in 1867 and identified by William Williams of Dungarvan, but ogham inscriptions not fully read until souterrain was dismantled in 1936 (Macalister 1945, 267).

References

Websites and Online Databases

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons licence Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Ireland

Copyright (c) 2013 by the School of Celtic Studies http://www.celt.dias.ie

All reuse or distribution of this work must contain somewhere a reference to http://ogham.celt.dias.ie/

Creative Commons License | Last update: 2021-02-05