Ogham in 3D
English | Gaeilge
Go to inscription

CIIC 280. Drumlohan IX, Co. Waterford

Download Epidoc | 3D PDF | 3D OBJ

© COPYRIGHT, 2009 2013-04-24

© COPYRIGHT, 2009 2013-04-25

National Monuments Service Record Number: WA024-033014-

Site Type




Souterrain discovered on removing the outer bank at NW of an Early ecclesiastical site. Ten ogham stones were used in the construction of the rectangular chamber (Moore 1999, 151, 172-3) - five as lintels, which are now removed and placed upright beside the souterrain, and five as lining stones for the sides, which are still in position.


'The first lining-stone on the western side'. 'A stump of slate', 1.12m x 0.51m x 0.22m (converted from Macalister 1945, 275).


'Ogham pocked on two edges (up-down): it is worn and broken and the top of the stone is lost' -INION- 'would just about fill the missing portion'. Three notches of the first possible I remain. (Macalister 1945, 275-6).




'of Bróen?'


  • The name BROINIONAS is recorded in three other ogham inscriptions (CIIC 120 Monataggart, Co. Cork; CIIC 151 Ballinrannig, Co. Kerry and CIIC 295 Knockboy, Co Waterford). However, the reading is only relatively certain in CIIC 151 Ballinrannig, Co. Kerry, which has the expected ending -IONAS and in CIIC 120 Monataggart, Co. Cork, which has BROINIENAS.



Re-used as the first lining stone on the western side of the souterrain (Macalister 1945, 275) in townland of Drumlohan and barony of Decies without Drum. (GPS coordinates -7.465370, 52.163318)



Last Recorded

Still within the souterrain on site at Drumlohan. The present location of this stone may be accessed via the National Monuments Service Historic Environment viewer on www.archaeology.ie.

History of Recording

Discovered in 1867 and identified by William Williams of Dungarvan, but ogham inscriptions not fully read until souterrain was dismantled in 1936 (Macalister 1945, 267).


Websites and Online Databases

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons licence Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Ireland

Copyright (c) 2013 by the School of Celtic Studies http://www.celt.dias.ie

All reuse or distribution of this work must contain somewhere a reference to http://ogham.celt.dias.ie/

Creative Commons License | Last update: 2021-02-05