Ogham in 3D
English | Gaeilge
Go to inscription

CIIC 11. Drummin I, Co. Roscommon

Download Epidoc | 3D PDF | 3D OBJ


© COPYRIGHT, 2009 2014-08-08

© COPYRIGHT, 2009 2014-08-08

National Monuments Service Record Number: RO015-051001-

Site Type

Ringfort/rath

Description

Site

'On a gentle SW-facing slope. Circular grass-covered area with mature deciduous trees (diam. 55m E-W; 54m N-S) defined by an earthen bank ... [Two] standing stones (RO015-051001-; RO015-051003-) are inside the perimeter at SW, the first with an ogham inscription. In 1985 a second ogham stone (RO015-051004-) was discovered in the bank that became dislodged and is now lying on top of the bank at SW' (NMS Survey database).

Monument

Sandstone (SMR file), 1.09m x 0.41m x 0.51m (converted from Macalister 1945, 16).

Text

'The V is faint and there is a fracture at the end of the inscription, but it seems to be complete' (Macalister 1945, 16). Gippert remarks that 'by 1996, the angle seems to have suffered more levelling so that the B-strokes of the N have become even harder to trace. Of Macalister's reading, neither the medial O nor his V could be ascertained'

Transliteration

CUǸ£[OV]ATO

Translation

Commentary

  • This is one of the inscriptions listed by McManus (1991, 94-5) in which apocope (loss of final consonants or syllables) begins to show itself (CUNOVATO (earlier -os). 'The final S has been dropped but lowering has not taken place in the first syllable'. On this basis it may be dated to the first half of the sixth century (McManus 1991, 97, 176 note 40). However, although Macalister (1945, 16) notes that the inscription 'seems to be complete', an original CUNOVATOS is possible considering that the end of the stone is fractured. This would make the estimated date even earlier.

Locations

Found

Discovered in the rath/ringfort sometime before 1914 (first mention) in the townland of Drummin and barony of Castlereagh. (GPS coordinates -8.369881, 53.834383)

Original

Unknown

Last Recorded

Still standing in the rath/ringfort National Monuments Service Historic Environment viewer on www.archaeology.ie.

History of Recording

According to Macalister (1914, 139), 'found by one Mr. Igoe, of the Ordnance Survey, and by him communicated to Dr. Douglas Hyde'

References

Websites and Online Databases

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons licence Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Ireland

Copyright (c) 2013 by the School of Celtic Studies http://www.celt.dias.ie

All reuse or distribution of this work must contain somewhere a reference to http://ogham.celt.dias.ie/

Creative Commons License | Last update: 2018-12-13