Ogham in 3D
English | Gaeilge
Go to inscription

CIIC 210. Kilcoolaght East V, Co. Kerry

Download Epidoc | 3D PDF | 3D OBJ


© COPYRIGHT, 2009 2015-08-19

© COPYRIGHT, 2009 2015-08-19

© COPYRIGHT, 2009 2015-08-19

National Monuments Service Record Number: KE065-003009-

Site Type

Burial ground

Description

Site

'Kilcoolaght Burial Ground/Cill Chuallachta (KE065-003001-): This site is located N of Macgillycuddy's Reeks on slightly elevated ground, a short distance W of the Finglas river. Described as a 'fort' and a 'burial ground' in the OSNB (Killorglin, 38), it is depicted on the first edition of the OS map as a small circular enclosure. It was described by Brash (1879, 228) as 'slightly raised above the level of the field, and about fifteen feet in diameter; it had evidently been much larger, but has been encroached on . . . [It] is an irregular circle without any fence, and stuck full of Dallans, from 12 in. to 4 ft. in height, several of which are inscribed’. Brash also recorded a tradition that a church (KE065-003003-) formerly stood on a rectangular area of untilled ground ‘a few yards from the cilleen'. No trace of this church is now apparent' (O'Sullivan et al 1996, no. 950).

Monument

Slate, 'a fragment which has been inscribed on two angles diametrically opposed'. 0.51m x 0.11m x 0.15m, (converted from Macalister 1945, 204). This and a second fragment (CIIC 212) 'were regarded by Macalister as derived from two separate stones (1945, 204-5). However, both join to form a portion of a single stone that measures 1.24m x .11m x .09m' (O'Sullivan et al 1996, no. 950).

Text

'On one [angle] nothing is let but DUBE[B?] preceded by the last notch of a vowel. On the other, nothing but five scores, a Q or an N acording to the direction of reading' (Macalister 1945, 204).

Transliteration

[  ̣  ̣ ?   ̣  ̣]DUBE[B  ̣  ̣ ?   ̣  ̣
  ̣  ̣ ?   ̣  ̣]Q/N[  ̣  ̣ ?   ̣  ̣]

Translation

Commentary

Locations

Found

along with a number of other ogham stones and fragments in a small area of a field (recorded as a burial ground) in the townland of Kilcoolaght East and barony of Dunkerron North. (GPS coordinates -9.745808, 52.073955)

Original

Find location possibly original site

Last Recorded

In a modern enclosure in a large field on private land. The present location of this stone may be accessed via the National Monuments Service Historic Environment viewer on www.archaeology.ie.

History of Recording

According to Brash (1879, 228), the site was visited on several occasions by Windele and by Brash himself in 1869.

References

Websites and Online Databases

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons licence Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Ireland

Copyright (c) 2013 by the School of Celtic Studies http://www.celt.dias.ie

All reuse or distribution of this work must contain somewhere a reference to http://ogham.celt.dias.ie/

Creative Commons License | Last update: 2021-02-05