Ogham in 3D
English | Gaeilge
Go to inscription

CIIC 188. Kinard East I (CINN AIRD THOIR ), Co. Kerry

Download Epidoc


© 2016-06-18

© 2016-06-18

National Monuments Service Record Number: KE053-053005-

Site Type

Ecclesiastical

Description

Site

There are no longer any visible remains of the parish church of Kinard/Teampall Chinn Aird (KE053-053001-) in the rectangular graveyard (KE053-053004-) known as Cinn Aird an Teampaill. The presence of two ogham stones (see also CIIC 189) and a bullaun stone at the site suggests that it is probably an early ecclesiastical site. The surrounding district is known locally as Tearmann Fhíonáin, from the patron saint of the Parish on whose feast-day a pattern was formerly held at the site (OSL; An Seabhac 1939, 150) (Cuppage et al, no. 863).

Monument

'Pulvinar of grit', 1.80m x 0.53m x 0.28m (converted from Macalister 1945, 182)

On the east face of the stone is 'an unusual cross inscription consisting of a rectangular outline divided into four roughly equal parts, the upper quadrants being similarly subdivided. The small rude cross which Brash (1879, 217) noted below the main design is now buried' (Cuppage 1986, 328).

Text

Up on the south east side of the stone and in good condition. The initial MA is now below ground level (see sketch below from Macalister (1945, 182).

Transliteration

(MA)RIANI

Translation

'of Marianus'

Commentary

  • This is one of the inscriptions listed by McManus (1991, 93-4) to be among the earliest in the corpus showing no trace of vowel affection. It may be dated to the first half, or the early second half, of the fifth century (McManus1991, 97)

  • MARIANI is an example of a genitive form of a Latin name, Marianus, also found on CIIC 16 Rathglass, Co. Carlow (McManus 1991, 113).

Locations

Found

Found in its current location in the graveyard in the townland of Kinard East and barony of Corkaguiney. (GPS coordinates -10.196581, 52.126196)

Original

Find location possibly original site

Last Recorded

In the west side of the graveyard, upright and half buried. The present location of this stone may be accessed via the National Monuments Service Historic Environment viewer on www.archaeology.ie.

History of Recording

Macalister (1945, 182) cites C. Graves as the first recorder of the stone in 1849. It was last recorded in 2017 by Kathleen Reen, a participant on the Corca Dhuibhne 3d project, using Structure from Motion 3d technology and processed using Agisoft Photoscan (see 3D view tab).

References

Websites and Online Databases

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons licence Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Ireland

Copyright (c) 2013 by the School of Celtic Studies http://www.celt.dias.ie

All reuse or distribution of this work must contain somewhere a reference to http://ogham.celt.dias.ie/

Creative Commons License | Last update: 2019-03-08