Ogham in 3D
English | Gaeilge
Go to inscription

CIIC 293. Knockboy II, Co. Waterford

Download Epidoc


© 2016-06-01

© COPYRIGHT, 2009 2009-01-01

National Monuments Service Record Number: WA013-034007-

Site Type

Ecclesiastical (probably early)

Description

Site

The parish church of Seskinan (WA013-034001-) was probably built on the site of an earlier church. There were traces of an ecclesiastical enclosure in the field to the S and within the graveyard (Brash 1868-9, 127; Power 1898, 84), but this is no longer evident. There is also the site of Toberatemple Well (WA013-032001-) c. 250m to the W (Power 1898, 83). The church is an undifferentiated structure (int. dims. 22.2m E-W; 7.55m N-S) surviving complete (H of long walls c. 2.1-2.5m) with quoins and a double bellcote (now damaged) over the W gable. There are pointed doorways towards the W end of the N and S walls, with a stoup inside the S doorway and an aumbry at the E end of the S wall. Two ogee-headed windows, one above the other, are in the W gable, with another in the E wall, and there are two simple lights towards the E end of the long walls. All the embrasures are lintelled internally except the E window which has a flat arch of dressed voussoirs and ingoings. The square base of a font (WA013-034004-) is also located within the church (Power 1898, 83).

All of the lintels, except one over the N doorway, have ogham inscriptions (Brash 1868-9, 118-30; Macalister 1945, 286-9), and a seventh ogham stone is standing in the NW corner of the church. An eighth ogham stone, said to have also originated here, was recorded by Macalister (1907, 213; 1945, 289) at Salterbridge House, near Cappoquin prior to 1907 but it was missing when he returned in 1940.

Monument

1.32m x 0.23m x 0.27m (converted from Macalister 1945, 286). This is the inner lintel of the window at the E end of the S wall.

Text

'Pocked on what is now the lower inner angle [reading R to L), but the H surface is nearly all chipped away... Nothing but the B-halves remain of the two R's and the G. There was doubtless an A between the B and the R. CEN is certain - four small nicks represent the vowel - but obviously the inscription is past restoration' (Macalister 1945, 286).

Transliteration

[ ... ]RG[  ̣  ̣ ?   ̣  ̣]BC[A]RCEN

Translation

Commentary

Locations

Found

Acting as inner lintel of the south window, close to the east gable, of the ruin of Seskinan parish church (Macalister 1945, 286) in the townland of Knockboy and barony of Decies without Drum.

Original

Find location possibly close to original site

Last Recorded

Still a lintel over the south window of the church at Knockboy. The present location of this stone may be accessed via the National Monuments Service Historic Environment viewer on www.archaeology.ie. (GPS coordinates -7.684809, 52.194724)

History of Recording

discovered in 1851 by G. V. du Noyer (Macalister 1945, 286).

References

Websites and Online Databases

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons licence Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Ireland

Copyright (c) 2013 by the School of Celtic Studies http://www.celt.dias.ie

All reuse or distribution of this work must contain somewhere a reference to http://ogham.celt.dias.ie/

Creative Commons License | Last update: 2019-06-14