Ogham in 3D
English | Gaeilge
Go to inscription

CIIC 298. Knockboy VII, Co. Waterford

Download Epidoc | 3D OBJ


© 2016-06-01

© 2016-06-01

National Monuments Service Record Number: WA013-034005-

Site Type

Ecclesiastical (probably early)

Description

Site

The parish church of Seskinan (WA013-034001-) was probably built on the site of an earlier church. There were traces of an ecclesiastical enclosure in the field to the S and within the graveyard (Brash 1868-9, 127; Power 1898, 84), but this is no longer evident. There is also the site of Toberatemple Well (WA013-032001-) c. 250m to the W (Power 1898, 83). The church is an undifferentiated structure (int. dims. 22.2m E-W; 7.55m N-S) surviving complete (H of long walls c. 2.1-2.5m) with quoins and a double bellcote (now damaged) over the W gable. There are pointed doorways towards the W end of the N and S walls, with a stoup inside the S doorway and an aumbry at the E end of the S wall. Two ogee-headed windows, one above the other, are in the W gable, with another in the E wall, and there are two simple lights towards the E end of the long walls. All the embrasures are lintelled internally except the E window which has a flat arch of dressed voussoirs and ingoings. The square base of a font (WA013-034004-) is also located within the church (Power 1898, 83).

All of the lintels, except one over the N doorway, have ogham inscriptions (Brash 1868-9, 118-30; Macalister 1945, 286-9), and a seventh ogham stone is standing in the NW corner of the church. An eighth ogham stone, said to have also originated here, was recorded by Macalister (1907, 213; 1945, 289) at Salterbridge House, near Cappoquin prior to 1907 but it was missing when he returned in 1940.

Monument

1.02m x 0.23m x 0.17m (converted from Macalister 1945, 288). There is damage to the top of the stone and down one of the angles. A small plain cross is cut into the lower face between the third and fourth inscribed angles.

Text

'Inscription on four angles, grouped two and two, up-top-down... The H-half of 1R gone: only three scores of the Q remaining. Room for the I of MAQI and seven more scores (H-scores and vowels only) : H-half of 2M gone - this letter, which is at the bottom of the second line, is, in any case, faintly scratched and doubtful. The third line of writing (MOCOI ODR) perfect: no vowel between the D and the R. Top of fourth line of writing chipped away - room for 14 scores (B-scores and vowels only)' (Macalister 1945, 288-9). Macalister's M of MAQI, along with the second M following LS, are not discernible on the 3d model.

Transliteration

VEDABAṚ [MA]Q̣[I  ̣  ̣ ?   ̣  ̣]LS[M]/ MOCOI ODR/[  ̣  ̣ ?   ̣  ̣]REA

Translation

'of Fíadbarr son of ? descendant of Odr...?'

Commentary

  • The personal name appears to be a compound with the element barr 'top, head (chief?), hair of the head', commonly ocurring in ogham inscriptions (McManus 1991, 102-3) and the element fíad 'wild' (Ziegler 1994, 242, 118; eDIL s.v. 2 fíad), applied to wild animals in particular and with barr 'antlers?' here possibly referring to a stag. Unfortunately, the kin group name doesn't survive in tact but perhaps refers to the Odraige (McManus 1991, 111).

Locations

Found

Found by Macalister (1907, 210-11) 'buried almost to its head, marking a modern grave', presumably in the graveyard of Seskinan parish church in the townland of Knockboy and barony of Decies without Drum.

Original

Find location possibly close to original site

Last Recorded

The stone is currently upright in the ground in the NW corner of the church ruin. The present location of this stone may be accessed via the National Monuments Service Historic Environment viewer on www.archaeology.ie. (Publicly accessible. GPS coordinates -7.685057, 52.194773)

History of Recording

Macalister (1907, 210-11) had the stone moved from its position as a modern grave marker and carried into the church, where he left it 'under the care of the priest'. He notes that this ogham stone was overlooked by Brash but 'seen and described in the Academy (9 March 1895) by the late Father Barry'. Power (1898, 86-7) also menitons an ogham stone (of 'course conglomerate') 'doing duty as a headstone to a modern grave', which is presumably this stone. This and the six other ogham stones on site were recorded in 3d using photogrammetry by Simon Dowling, thanks to funding from the Heritage Council and support from Waterford County Council and Adopt a Monument Ireland Scheme.

References

Websites and Online Databases

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons licence Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Ireland

Copyright (c) 2013 by the School of Celtic Studies http://www.celt.dias.ie

All reuse or distribution of this work must contain somewhere a reference to http://ogham.celt.dias.ie/

Creative Commons License | Last update: 2020-09-22