Ogham in 3D
English | Gaeilge
Go to inscription

CIIC 173. Brackloon, Co. Kerry

Download Epidoc | 🔗 URI https://ogham.celt.dias.ie/173._Brackloon

© 2007-09-17

National Monuments Service Record Number: KE045-081002-

Site Type

Possible souterrain in ringfort/rath



It is possible that the univallate rath (KE045-081----) situated at the base of Knockafeehane mountain was the find-place of the Brackloon ogham stone though the evidence is not altogether clear (Macalister 1945, 166-7; Cuppage 1986, 124).


A fragment of an ogham stone, possibly from the lost Brackloon stone, 0.39m x 0.23m x 0.08m. (Photograph courtesy of Siobhán Dempsey, Latitude Photography)


The inscription appears to be pocked in broad scores. 'At the beginning it was fractured through 2Q1 and at the end after 2C2' (Macalister 1945, 167).


[ ... MA]Q̣I MUCC̣[OI ... ]


... son of the descendant of ...




found in a fence in Brackloon (An Bhreac-chluain) townland in the barony of Corkaguiney (Macalister 1945, 167). National Monuments Service Historic Environment viewer on www.archaeology.ie. (GPS coordinates -10.269093, 52.136316)



Last Recorded

On display in Musáem Chorca Dhuibhne, Ballyferriter (www.westkerrymuseum.com). (GPS coordinates -10.405999, 52.166581)

History of Recording

'Hitchcock discovered the [Brackloon ogham] stone acting as a chimney-breast in a cottage in Ballintermon and was informed that it had been found in the souterrain of a rath in a field called Páirc an Leasa in Brackloon townland. There are two known raths in this townland and Hitchcock was informed that the one from which the ogham stone came had been levelled and this rath (KE045-081----) corresponds more closely to that description... The field in which this rath is located is known locally as Páirc na Claishe, not Páirc an Leasa, but it is possible that Hitchcock confused the two names... All but one letter of the inscription were chipped off to prepare the stone as a chimney-breast'. More fragments thought to belong to the stone 'were presented by Hitchcock to the Royal Irish Academy but were subsequently lost or mislaid. The main stone, with its single letter, was later broken up for walling (Macalister 1897, 53) (Cuppage 1986, 124).'Some years later, Macalister (1945, 167) recorded the following: 'The late Canon Sweeney, sometime rector of Aunascaul, in the year 1902, showed me what he believed to be a fragment of this stone: found by his daughter in 1891 on a fence on the townland'. This fragment was for many years preserved in the grounds of Ballinagroun House, near Inch, before being moved to Musáem Chorca Dhuibhne in Ballyferriter (Cuppage 1986, 124). It was last recorded in 2017 by Isabel Bennett, Curator at Músaem Chorca Dhuibhne and participant on the Corca Dhuibhne 3d project, using Structure from Motion 3d technology and processed using Agisoft Photoscan (see 3D view tab)


Websites and Online Databases

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons licence Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Ireland

Copyright (c) 2013 by the School of Celtic Studies http://www.celt.dias.ie

All reuse or distribution of this work must contain somewhere a reference to http://ogham.celt.dias.ie/

Creative Commons License | Last update: 2023-07-30