Ogham in 3D
English | Gaeilge
Go to inscription

CIIC 181. Emlagh West (IMLEACH AN DAINGIN), Co. Kerry

Download Epidoc | 3D PDF

National Monuments Service Record Number: KE042-167----

Site Type

Souterrain in ringfort/rath

Description

Site

The ogham stone is reported to have 'acted either as a lintel or as a jamb stone to a souterrain (KE053-016001-) in a destroyed rath (KE053-016----)' 'on the W side of the main Dingle to Lispole road, near the old Dingle railway station' (Cuppage 1986, 223).

Monument

'The lower part of a stone' (Macalister 1945, 174). 1.08m x 0.36m x 0.24m (Cuppage 1986, 223).

Text

'The inscription is pocked, and so far as it survives, is in good condition... The stone is broken after the Q; and the last score of this letter is chipped way, all but its dexter side ' (Macalister 1945, 174). Macalister also suggested that the battered looking sinister edge of the inscribed face had once contained the formula word MUCOI, followed by the name of an eponymous ancestor, which was deliberately destroyed. However, there is no evidense to support this theory.

Transliteration

TALAGNI MAQ̣[I ... ]

Translation

of Tálán son of ...

Commentary

  • This is one of the inscriptions listed by McManus (1991, 93-4) which appears to be among the earliest in the corpus showing no trace of vowel affection... or any of the developments postdating it. It may be dated to the first half, or the early second half, of the fifth century (McManus1991, 97).

  • Tál 'adze' and diminutive suffix -agni (>-an(n)) (McManus 1991, 107).

Locations

Found

found, according to Hitchcock's notes, in a souterrain on the townland (Emlagh West in the barony of Corkaguiney), acting as a jamb-stone for the entrance (Macalister 1945, 174). National Monuments Service Historic Environment viewer on www.archaeology.ie. (GPS coordinates -10.269093, 52.136316)

Original

Unknown

Last Recorded

On display in Musáem Chorca Dhuibhne, Ballyferriter (www.westkerrymuseum.com). (GPS coordinates -10.405999, 52.166581)

History of Recording

Cuppage (1986, 223) says that the stone was first noted by in Windele in 1848, and that the stone 'formerly acted either as a lintel or as a jamb stone to a souterrain in a destroyed rath'. Before being moved to Musáem Chorca Dhuibhne, it stood in the same field in which it was found 'against the W side of a N-S field wall ... on the W side of the main Dingle to Lispole road, near the old Dingle railway station'.

References

Websites and Online Databases

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons licence Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Ireland

Copyright (c) 2013 by the School of Celtic Studies http://www.celt.dias.ie

All reuse or distribution of this work must contain somewhere a reference to http://ogham.celt.dias.ie/

Creative Commons License | Last update: 2020-09-22