Ogham in 3D
English | Gaeilge
Go to inscription

CIIC 196. Rathmalode II, Co. Kerry

Download Epidoc | 3D PDF

National Monuments Service Record Number: KE042-166---

Site Type

Souterrain in ringfort/rath

Description

Site

A 'densely-overgrown rath (KE045-035----) is located in wet pastureland on a S facing slope overlooking the valley of the Emlagh river. The interior is planted with coniferous trees and the hut-site and souterrain which occupied the centre of the interior have been interfered with considerably. It was reputedly from this souterrain that 2 ogham stones were removed for use as door-lintels in buildings in the adjacent townland of Lougher... Hut-site (KE045-035001-) and Souterrain (KE045-035002-): A curving earth and stone bank in the centre of the interior may represent the N half of a circular hut. It is 2.5m wide and .25m high. A considerable quantity of stone has been removed from this area in the past (local information). Directly S of this is a shallow depression which apparently marks the location of a small, stone-built souterrain (local information)' (Cuppage 1986, 179).

Monument

Thickly coated with whitewash when discovered. Grit 1.24m x 0.33m x 0.09m (converted from Macalister 1945, 191)

Text

The inscription is up on the dexter angle. 'There is a blank butt, 1' 2" long' (Macalister 1945, 191). The stone is broken at the other end and only 2 letters of the last name remain (Cuppage 1986, 179).

Transliteration

ERCAVICCAS MAQI CỌ

Translation

Commentary

  • This is one of the inscriptions listed by McManus (1991, 93-4) which appears to be among the earliest in the corpus showing no trace of vowel affection... or any of the developments postdating it. It may be dated to the first half, or the early second half, of the fifth century (McManus1991, 97).

  • In initial position in the personal name here is the commonly found divine name ERCA- (OI Erc, gen. Eirc, Erce), followed by -VICAS in final position. This element 'derives from the root *weik- found in Latin vinco, -ere 'to conquer' and OI fichid 'fights'... In Irish it usually combines with a divine name' (McManus 1991, 103-4, 178 n. 23).

Locations

Found

Discovered acting as a lintel in a dairy in Lougher townland in the barony of Corkaguiney. National Monuments Service Historic Environment viewer on www.archaeology.ie.

Original

GPS coordinates of possible original location -9.992082, 52.171589

Last Recorded

On display in Musáem Chorca Dhuibhne, Ballyferriter (www.westkerrymuseum.com). (GPS coordinates -10.405999, 52.166581)

History of Recording

Apparantly discovered by Windele, 'this stone acted as the door lintel to an outhouse in Lougher townland and reputedly came [in 1853] from the rath in the adjoining townland of Rathmalode (Macalister 1945, 190-1). The Co. Kerry Field Club (1939) mention briefly the possibility that it came from a grave-site in Lougher townland, but their informant is now deceased and the information could not be verified' (Cuppage 1986, 179).

References

Websites and Online Databases

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons licence Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Ireland

Copyright (c) 2013 by the School of Celtic Studies http://www.celt.dias.ie

All reuse or distribution of this work must contain somewhere a reference to http://ogham.celt.dias.ie/

Creative Commons License | Last update: 2019-06-14