Ogham in 3D
English | Gaeilge
Go to inscription

CIIC 98. Ballyhank II, Co. Cork

Download Epidoc | 3D PDF | 3D OBJ

© 2012-06-19

National Monuments Service Record Number: CO085-067004-

Site Type




A souterrain (CO085-067002-) in the SW quadrant of a ringfort (CO085-067001-). 'The souterrain was a passage 52' long, in three sections, 18', 16' and 18' long respectively, on a slight zig-zag plan and with no expansion at either end' (Macalister 1945, 92-3).


1 of 6 Ogam stones re-used in the construction of a souterrain. 'Clayslate', 0.9m x 0.4m x 0.2m (converted from Macalister 1945, 94).


'Inscription [coarsely pocked] on three angles, up-up-dowm; it is in poor condition, especially the second line, which is chipped... The inscribed angles run round the circumference of the stone clockwise, not counter-clockwise, which is more usual' (Macalister 1945, 94-5).




of Corbán here? son of the descendant of C?


  • The personal name CORBAGNI (later Corbán, corbaid 'defiles') is also attested on CIIC 246. Rockfield IV, Co. Kerry. MUCOI COROTANI is an unidentifies gentilic name McManus (1991, 107, 112)

  • The fact that the endings (-AGNI, -I) are in tact in both personal names would suggest a possible pre 6th century date (McManus 1991, 97).



In a souterrain with 5 other Ogham stones in Ballyhank, barony of East Muskerry. (GPS coordinates -8.609923,51.831600)



Last recorded

Part of the National Museum of Ireland collection (NMI Ref. 1872:25), Dublin, but currently on loan to Músaem Chorca Dhuibhne in Ballyferriter, Co. Kerry. (www.westkerrymuseum.com). (GPS coordinates -10.405999, 52.166581) The present location of this stone may be accessed via the National Monuments Service Historic Envirnonment viewer on www.archaeology.ie.

History of Recording

Discovered by Cork antiquaries Windele, Abelland Hawkes in 1846. Macalister (1945, 92-3) records the removal of all ogham stones from their original location in the Ballyhank souterrain, 'one of these was purchased from the local farmer by F. M. Jennings in 1846, and presented by him to the Royal Irish Academy (PRIA 3: 213, without any statement of provenance): in 1849 Windele removed the remaining stones to his own residence'. All six were later re-united in the National Museum of Ireland collection.


Websites and Online Databases

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons licence Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Ireland

Copyright (c) 2013 by the School of Celtic Studies http://www.celt.dias.ie

All reuse or distribution of this work must contain somewhere a reference to http://ogham.celt.dias.ie/

Creative Commons License | Last update: 2021-02-05