Ogham in 3D
English | Gaeilge
Go to inscription

CIIC 100. Ballyhank IV, Co. Cork

Download Epidoc | 3D PDF | 3D OBJ


© 2016-05-12
© 2010-01-27

National Monuments Service Record Number: CO085-067006-

Site Type

Souterrain

Description

Site

A souterrain (CO085-067002-) in the SW quadrant of a ringfort (CO085-067001-). 'The souterrain was a passage 52' long, in three sections, 18', 16' and 18' long respectively, on a slight zig-zag plan and with no expansion at either end' (Macalister 1945, 92-3).

Monument

1 of 6 Ogam stones re-used in the construction of a souterrain. Clayslate, 1.3m x 0.6m x 0.2m (converted from Macalister 1945, 97).

Text

Inscription cut on one angle, up.

'The AB which Macalister reads some distance before the name ULCCAGNI is not very deeply cut and there is ground for considerable doubt as to whether it should be considered part of the inscription' (McManus 1991, 66).

Transliteration

ABvac. ULCCAGṆI

Translation

'? of Olcán'

Commentary

  • Macalister (1945, 97) interprets AB as 'Abbot', but McManus (1991, 61) sugests that the AB 'is best ignored.'

  • Olc 'evil' and diminutive suffix -agni (>-an(n)), cp. 467. Lewannick II, Cornwall (ULCAGNI with single C, also Latin inscription: VLCAGNI) and a further British inscription in Latin only (370. VLCAGNVS - in nom. after HIC IACIT, dating from the latter part of 5th century following Jackson's chronology of British inscriptions (McManus 1991, 64, 97). Old Irish olc/luch reflex of Indo-European word for 'wolf' (McCone 1985, 171-6).

Locations

Found

In souterrain with 5 other Ogham stones in Ballyhank, barony of East Muskerry. (GPS coordinates -8.609923,51.831600)

Original

Unknown

Last recorded

National Museum of Ireland (NMI Ref. 1872:21), Dublin. The present location of this stone may be accessed via the National Monuments Service Historic Environment viewer on www.archaeology.ie. (GPS coordinates -6.254558,53.340408)

History of Recording

Discovered by Cork antiquaries Windele, Abelland Hawkes in 1846. Macalister (1945, 92-3) records the removal of all ogham stones from their original location in the Ballyhank souterrain, 'one of these was purchased from the local farmer by F. M. Jennings in 1846, and presented by him to the Royal Irish Academy (PRIA 3: 213, without any statement of provenance): in 1849 Windele removed the remaining stones to his own residence'. All six were later re-united in the National Museum of Ireland collection.

References

Websites and Online Databases

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons licence Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Ireland

Copyright (c) 2013 by the School of Celtic Studies http://www.celt.dias.ie

All reuse or distribution of this work must contain somewhere a reference to http://ogham.celt.dias.ie/

Creative Commons License | Last update: 2019-09-24