Ogham in 3D
English | Gaeilge
Go to inscription

CIIC 101. Ballyhank V, Co. Cork

Download Epidoc | 3D PDF | 3D OBJ | 🔗 URI https://ogham.celt.dias.ie/101._Ballyhank_V

© 2016-05-12

National Monuments Service Record Number: CO085-067007-

Site Type




A souterrain (CO085-067002-) in the SW quadrant of a ringfort (CO085-067001-). 'The souterrain was a passage 52' long, in three sections, 18', 16' and 18' long respectively, on a slight zig-zag plan and with no expansion at either end' (Macalister 1945, 92-3).


1 of 6 Ogam stones re-used in the construction of a souterrain. This stone is particularly 'rough and irregular, and it is difficult to discriminate between letters and natural markings on its surface. 'A rough block of clayslate', 1.4m x 0.5m x 0.4m (converted from Macalister 1945, 98, 100).


'Inscribed on the dexter angle of the main face, running over the top diagonally, and down the dexter angle of the parallel face'.

'The scores of the S slope slightly, there is no indication that they ever crossed the line... The D is in the hollow of a spall-matrix, but is traceable. The Q at the end is conceivably a mistake for N, the sculptor having become confused, as sometime happens, by the turn of the angle. On the angle intercepted between the two which bear the main inscription, there is a line of enigmatical characters', transcribed as --]BA[-][U]MAD[-- (Macalister 1945, 99). These characters appear on the 3d model to be closer to Macalister's (1907, 89) earlier reading in Epigraphy: MAQI MAD.

Macalister (1945, 100) also describes what he calls 'Ogham graffito' in the middle of the B-surface. However, as acknowledged by Macalister, this is impossible to decipher (or even to be sure of) considering the roughness of the stone.





  • The personal names in this inscription do not seem to be attested elsewhere. As noted above DOMANEQI could be an error for DOMANENI.

  • This is one of the inscriptions listed by McManus (1991, 94-5) in which apocope (loss of final consonants or syllables) begins to show itself (MAQI-ESEA (earlier -IAS). If the reading is accurate, it may be dated to the first half of the sixth century (McManus 1991, 97).



In a souterrain with 5 other Ogham stones in Ballyhank, barony of East Muskerry. (GPS coordinates -8.609923,51.831600)



Last recorded

National Museum of Ireland (NMI Ref. 1872:20), Dublin. The present location of this stone may be accessed via the National Monuments Service Historic Environment viewer on www.archaeology.ie. (GPS coordinates -6.254558,53.340408)

History of Recording

Discovered by Cork antiquaries Windele, Abelland Hawkes in 1846. Macalister (1945, 92-3) records the removal of all ogham stones from their original location in the Ballyhank souterrain, 'one of these was purchased from the local farmer by F. M. Jennings in 1846, and presented by him to the Royal Irish Academy (PRIA 3: 213, without any statement of provenance): in 1849 Windele removed the remaining stones to his own residence'. All six were later re-united in the National Museum of Ireland collection.


Websites and Online Databases

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons licence Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Ireland

Copyright (c) 2013 by the School of Celtic Studies http://www.celt.dias.ie

All reuse or distribution of this work must contain somewhere a reference to http://ogham.celt.dias.ie/

Creative Commons License | Last update: 2023-07-30