Ogham in 3D
English | Gaeilge
Go to inscription

CIIC 102. Ballyhank VI, Co. Cork

Download Epidoc | 3D PDF | 3D OBJ


© 2016-05-12
© 2014-04-08

National Monuments Service Record Number: CO085-067008-

Site Type

Souterrain

Description

Site

A souterrain (CO085-067002-) in the SW quadrant of a ringfort (CO085-067001-). 'The souterrain was a passage 52' long, in three sections, 18', 16' and 18' long respectively, on a slight zig-zag plan and with no expansion at either end' (Macalister 1945, 92-3).

Monument

1 of 6 Ogam stones re-used in the construction of a souterrain. 1.1m x 0.3m x 0.3m (Power et al 1997, 165)

Text

Palimpsest (original inscription almost entirely erased), 'roughly scratched' on one angle, up (Macalister 1945, 101). 'An inscription was originally cut on the sinister angle of face A, on to the top, and down the rounded edge... Of this inscription, which must have been in bold, well-spaced scores, nothing remains but the proximal ends of what may have been TEC, on the sinister angle of face A; the distal ends of an N on the top of the stone; and the vowels AI upon the rounded edge between faces A and B...' (Macalister 1945, 100-101).

Transliteration

DỊLOGONN

Translation

Commentary

Locations

Found

In souterrain with 5 other Ogam stones in the townland of Ballyhank, barony of East Muskerry. (GPS coordinates -8.609923,51.831600)

Original

Unknown

Last Recorded

National Museum of Ireland (NMI Ref. 1872:23), Dublin. The present location of this stone may be accessed via the National Monuments Service Historic Environment viewer on www.archaeology.ie. (GPS coordinates -6.254558,53.340408)

History of Recording

Discovered by Cork antiquaries Windele, Abelland Hawkes in 1846. Macalister (1945, 92-3) records the removal of all ogham stones from their original location in the Ballyhank souterrain, 'one of these was purchased from the local farmer by F. M. Jennings in 1846, and presented by him to the Royal Irish Academy (PRIA 3: 213, without any statement of provenance): in 1849 Windele removed the remaining stones to his own residence'. All six were later re-united in the National Museum of Ireland collection.

References

Websites and Online Databases

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons licence Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Ireland

Copyright (c) 2013 by the School of Celtic Studies http://www.celt.dias.ie

All reuse or distribution of this work must contain somewhere a reference to http://ogham.celt.dias.ie/

Creative Commons License | Last update: 2020-11-03