Ogham in 3D
English | Gaeilge
Go to inscription

CIIC 218. Whitefield IV, Co. Kerry

Download Epidoc | 3D PDF | 3D OBJ | 🔗 URI https://ogham.celt.dias.ie/218._Whitefield_IV

© 2016-05-12
© 2014-04-08

National Monuments Service Record Number: KE057-107004-

Site Type




The souterrain, not marked on the OS maps, is locally reputed to have been located on the NW side of Baunclune House, but no surface trace of it remains.


1 of 4 stones (also CIIC 215, CIIC 216, CIIC 217) probably from a souterrain. According to Brash (1879, 192) it is a 'rough irregular pillar of clay-slate', 1.00m x 0.26m x 0.22m (converted from Macalister 1945, 211).


'Inscribed on two angles [up-up]. But the first angle has been chipped away, leaving nothing but the distal ends of L[A]G[O]BB[... ' (Macalister 1945, 211).


L[A]G[O]BB[  ̣  ̣ ?   ̣  ̣]/ MUCO TUCACAC





Found in a souterrain in the townland of Whitefield, barony of Dunkerron North. Exact coordinates unknown. (GPS coordinates, approximate location only -9.702644, 52.085442)



Last Recorded

National Museum of Ireland (NMI Ref. W.11), Dublin. The present location of this stone may be accessed via the National Monuments Service Historic Environment viewer on www.archaeology.ie. (GPS coordinates -6.254558,53.340408)

History of Recording

first mentioned, 1853 The MacGillicuddy. 'Four stones inscribed with Ogham writing were exhibited by The MacGillicuddy of the Reeks at the Dublin Exhibition of 1853, and were presented by him to the Royal Irish Academy in the following year' (Macalister 1945, 208).


Websites and Online Databases

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons licence Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Ireland

Copyright (c) 2013 by the School of Celtic Studies http://www.celt.dias.ie

All reuse or distribution of this work must contain somewhere a reference to http://ogham.celt.dias.ie/

Creative Commons License | Last update: 2023-07-30