Ogham in 3D
English | Gaeilge
Go to inscription

CIIC 256. Tinnahally II, Co. Kerry.

Download Epidoc | 3D PDF


© 2016-05-12

© 2010-01-28

National Monuments Service Record Number: KE057-105002-

Site Type

Souterrain

Description

Site

'Two stones [were] raised from the souterrain of a fort, the name of which is given as `Lisnareabh'' (Macalister 1945, 249). There is a ringfort (KE057-006----) in the townland of Tinnahally named 'Lisnareabagh' on the OS 6-inch map, which contains a souterrain (KE057-006001-, ASI database: www.archaeology.ie). Local information has confirmed that the ogham stones came from this fort known as 'Lisnareveagh'.

Monument

1.78m x 0.43m x 0.56m (converted from Macalister 1945, 251).

Text

Up on one angle, continuing across the top of the stone. The inscription is generally clear in broad pocked scores. Macalister (1945, 251) suggested that 'his stone is a second-hand monument; the face opposite the inscription shows signs over its whole surface as of heavy battering with some kind of maul, evidently to remove an earlier inscription which its angles had borne'.

Transliteration

AṆM TEGANN MAC DEGL/ANN

Translation

'name/inscription of Tecán son of Déclán'

Commentary

  • The E in the first name is represented by the first supplementary character (or forfid) with its vocalic value /e/, rather than its consonantal value /k/ or /x/, usually transliterated K. With this vocalic usage, 'late linguistic features tend to be more frequent'. There is also 'a correlation with this usage and that of the ANM formula, which is also symptomatic of late date' (McManus 1991, 79; Swift 1997, 83-90)

  • McManus (1991, 92-3, 96) places this inscription late (possibly late sixth or early seventh century) in the sequence of Oghams on the basis of ANM and the fact that all endings are lost.

  • Regarding the varying vowel lengths in Tecán and Déclán, McManus (1991, 179, n. 38) noted that 'the E of the first name, which is known to be short, is written with the first supplementary character, which usually denotes short /e/, whereas that of the second is written the traditional way'.

Locations

Found

in a souterrain of a ringfort in the townland of Tinnahally in the barony of Trughanacmy. The original location of this stone may be accessed via the National Monuments Service Historic Environment viewer on www.archaeology.ie. Precise coordinates unknown. (GPS coordinates, approximate location only -9.749639, 52.126506)

Original

Unknown

Last Recorded

National Museum of Ireland (NMI Ref. 1872:19), Dublin. The present location of this stone may be accessed via the National Monuments Service Historic Environment viewer on www.archaeology.ie. (GPS coordinates -6.254558,53.340408)

Recording

Discovered in 1848 on lands in the occupation of a man called Foley, innkeeper of Killorglin, who showed them to Windele. (Macalister 1945, 249) cites an article by Brash in 1873 as the first publication of the stone.

References

Websites and Online Databases

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons licence Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Ireland

Copyright (c) 2013 by the School of Celtic Studies http://www.celt.dias.ie

All reuse or distribution of this work must contain somewhere a reference to http://ogham.celt.dias.ie/

Creative Commons License | Last update: 2020-05-09