Ogham in 3D
English | Gaeilge
Go to inscription

CIIC 268. Dromore III, Co. Waterford

Download Epidoc | 3D PDF | 3D OBJ


© 2016-05-12

© 2010-01-29

National Monuments Service Record Number: WA029-042010-

Site Type

Burial ground

Description

Site

Possible early ecclesiastical site (Cell Tíre – Kiltera). 'Later prehistoric or early Christian cemetery comprising a circular grass-covered area (diam. c. 36m) defined by a slight stone bank' (Moore 1999, 172). No evidence for church. Two ogham stones built into wall at W still on site. The interior of the burial ground was investigated by Macalister (1935, 1-16) in 1934 during which this third ogham stone was uncovered and is now in the National Museum of Ireland.

Monument

'Slate, coarse-grained and very brittle ... broken into four pieces', 1.42m x 0.30m x 0.28m (converted from Macalister 1945, 264).

Text

Inscription pocked. 'Though worn and slightly fractured it is perfectly legible... The sinister angle is all broken away' (Macalister 1945, 264-5). Initially read by Macalister as: RITUVVAS (Macalister 1935, 12).

Transliteration

CATTUVIR

Translation

'Caither'

Commentary

  • This personal name appears to be a compound of CAT(T)U- (OI cath 'battle') and WIR- (OI fer 'man'). cp. CIIC 250. CATTUVVIRR, CIIC 221. CATVVIRR (post syncope) and probably CIIC 184. CATUVIQ? (? leg. -R) (McManus 1991, 102-3, 105).

  • In this inscription the -I ending has been lost, which may suggest a date in the middle or second half of the sixth century (McManus 1991, 95, 97).

Locations

Found

on site at Kiltera burial ground during investigation by Macalister in 1934 (Macalister 1935, 1-16) in the townland of Dromore and barony of Decies within Drum. (GPS coordinates -7.847710, 52.074331

Original

Find location possibly original site

Last Recorded

National Museum of Ireland, Dublin. The present location of this stone may be accessed via the National Monuments Service Historic Environment viewer on www.archaeology.ie. (GPS coordinates -6.254558,53.340408)

History of Recording

'came to light in 1934, in the course of excavations on the site' (Macalister 1945, 262).

References

Websites and Online Databases

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons licence Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Ireland

Copyright (c) 2013 by the School of Celtic Studies http://www.celt.dias.ie

All reuse or distribution of this work must contain somewhere a reference to http://ogham.celt.dias.ie/

Creative Commons License | Last update: 2020-09-22