Ogham in 3D
English | Gaeilge
Go to inscription

CIIC 49. Baltinglass, Co. Wicklow

Download Epidoc | 3D PDF | 3D OBJS


© 2016-05-12

© 2010-01-28

© Nora White 2011-03-31

National Monuments Service Record Number: WI027-079----

Site Type

Unknown

Description

Site

Site details do not appear to have been recorded 'except the statement in the [National] Museum Register, that the fragments came from the neighbourhood of Baltinglass' (Macalister 1945, 53).

Monument

'Two fragments of granite, evidently belonging to one stone, but impossible to fit together' - Fragment 1: 0.67m x 0.57m x 0.24m; Fragment 2: 0.67m x 0.51m x 0.03m (converted from Macalister 1945, 53). 'The monument has been intentionally broken up (probably for wall-building), as is evident from a crow-bar mark on one of the fragments' (Macalister 1945, 53). In fact the second fragment also has similar marks and they appear to have been made by a modern drill, which was used to break up the stone.

Text

Fragment 1 (reading downwards): Inscription 'pocked in bold scores... Only C34 of the first letter remains, C12 being broken away. C3 is also fractured. C4 is prolonged slightly downward, but it cannot be treated as M'

Fragment 2: 'Evidently the original top of the stone. The lettering is badly injured by spalling' (Macalister 1916, 54). Macalister suggested a reading INI and while there does appear to be 2 or possibly 3 notches, it is unclear whether 4 or 5 scores follow, before a further possible 2 notches.

Transliteration

Macalister's readings:

Fragment 1 - [  ̣  ̣ ?   ̣  ̣]C̣CI MAQ[  ̣  ̣ ?   ̣  ̣]
Fragment 2 - [  ̣  ̣ ?   ̣  ̣]ỊṆỊ[  ̣  ̣ ?   ̣  ̣]

Translation

Commentary

Locations

Found

near Baltinglass, barony of Upper Talbotstown.

Original

GPS coordinates of possible original location -6.711032, 52.940557

Last recorded

National Museum of Ireland (NMI Ref. 1872:6a), Dublin. The present location of this stone may be accessed via the National Monuments Service Historic Environment viewer on www.archaeology.ie. (GPS coordinates -6.254558,53.340408)

History of Recording

'Nothing is recorded of the history of the stone, except the statement in the [National] Museum Register, that the fragments came from the neighbourhood of Baltinglass' (Macalister 1945, 53). Brash (1879, 324), however, gives the 'neighbourhood of Donard' as the find location but without further details. Gippert 2001, 49 records that the second fragment could not be found in the National Museum in 1988. David Jackson, Technical Assistant on the Ogham in 3D project, discovered the second fragment in March 2011, lying quite close to the first and exhibiting the same markings, probably made by a modern drill.

References

Websites and Online Databases

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons licence Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Ireland

Copyright (c) 2013 by the School of Celtic Studies http://www.celt.dias.ie

All reuse or distribution of this work must contain somewhere a reference to http://ogham.celt.dias.ie/

Creative Commons License | Last update: 2020-11-03