A flat slab of slate, 1.73m x 0.61m x 0.14m (converted from Macalister 1945, 82). Thickly coated with whitewash when recorded by Macalister.
Inscribed on one angle and along the top. This inscription has previously been read by Macalister and others as [T]ELUNA or [T]ULENA MU[C-- (Macalister 1945, 82; O'Kelly 1945, 152-3). An extra three letters running along the top were read by Fionnbarr Moore (pers. comm. 17 April 2015): 'The first three strokes of the R are damaged but the A is clear and the first three strokes of the N are faint but legible. No other letters are discernible'.
Discovered acting as the jamb of a cart-shed door on a farm in the townland of Glenaphuca, barony of Imokilly. The find location of this stone may be accessed via the National Monuments Service Historic Environment viewer on www.archaeology.ie. (GPS coordinates -8.072074, 51.968058)
GPS coordinates of possible original location -8.075929, 51.971264
National Museum of Ireland storage facility at Daingean, Co. Offaly. The present location of this stone may be accessed via the National Monuments Service Historic Environment viewer on www.archaeology.ie. (GPS coordinates -7.293729, 53.299464)
Discovered by E. Barry in 1896. Macalister (1945, 82) recorded that the stone came from a 'large fort' in Rathcanning townland. However, he was presumably referring to the large ringfort in the neighbouring Glenaphuca townland to the south, which is much closer to the find site. Barry (1897, 79-80) records that it came from another souterrain (CO066-00054---) in the next field 'a quarter of a mile south of Rathcanning fort' where 'an underground pasage, and an underground beehive-shaped chamber, were discovered '.
This work is licensed under the Creative Commons licence Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Ireland
Copyright (c) 2013 by the School of Celtic Studies http://www.celt.dias.ie
All reuse or distribution of this work must contain somewhere a reference to http://ogham.celt.dias.ie/