On the crown of a hill with good views in all directions, inside Rathcanning fort (CO066-01001-). A second ogham stone (CIIC 79) may also have originated from a souterrain at this site (Macalister 1945, 82).
Rescued by Macalister from the wall of Rathcanning fort in the townland of Glenaphuca, barony of Imokilly. The find location of this stone may be accessed via the National Monuments Service Historic Environment viewer on www.archaeology.ie. (GPS coordinates -8.075929, 51.971264)
National Museum of Ireland (NMI Ref. 1943:302), Dublin (GPS coordinates -6.254558,53.340408). The present location of this stone may be accessed via the National Monuments Service Historic Environment viewer on www.archaeology.ie.
Rescued by Macalister from the wall of Rathcanning fort. Macalister (1945, 82) also recorded that this was the original location of a second ogham stone (CIIC 79). However, Barry (1897, 79-80) records that it came from another souterrain (CO066-00054---) in the next field 'a quarter of a mile south of Rathcanning fort' where 'an underground pasage, and an underground beehive-shaped chamber, were discovered'.
This work is licensed under the Creative Commons licence Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Ireland
Copyright (c) 2013 by the School of Celtic Studies http://www.celt.dias.ie
All reuse or distribution of this work must contain somewhere a reference to http://ogham.celt.dias.ie/